June 17

Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris

isbn9780575092860Everyone knows Charlaine Harris. I doubt there is anyone with a television who hasn’t at least heard of True Blood, and I have reviewed several of the Sookie Stackhouse and Aurora Teagarden series. So last year when I got my hands on an advance copy of her new series opener, I started it almost immediately. I knew what to expect – a little romance, a little mystery, enough suspense to keep the pages turning, and a delightful supernatural silliness. I was not disappointed.

Midnight, Texas is a sleepy little town with a lot of empty buildings and few permanent residents. When Manfred Bernardo moves into town, he is sure he has found the perfect place to base his online psychic service. Gradually he meets the other ‘locals’ and psychic abilities are no help when trying to work them all out. There is the herbalist ‘witch’ who lives across the road, the gay couple who run the salon/antique shop, and his landlord with the 24 hour pawnshop, the reclusive Rev, and the family that runs the diner. Nobody asks too many questions, and that makes it easier for everyone to keep their secrets. But when Manfred runs into trouble, his secret is out and he finds that he needs the help and support of his new community.

This is very much an introductory book. The reader gets to meet the neighbours and make his own mind up about them all. Harris presumes that all readers will accept her supernatural cast of characters, even look forward to getting to know them all.

I am going to admit that I am looking forward to following series. The characters are fun and even original. This could simply have been a rehash of True Blood, but instead there is a lot more psychic than supe in Midnight.

Posted June 17, 2015 by cssutton in category Fantasy, Upper Secondary +