May 9

The 100 by Kass Morgan

9780316234498_p0_v2_s260x420Dystopian fiction – end this world and begin another. Once upon a time, believe it or not, this genre was seen as too dark and negative for adolescent readers. Are those days gone and forgotten. Publishers seem to publish nothing else, and Hollywood is turning out product for the big – and small – screen.

Fans of the TV series will already know that in this scenario the earth has been destroyed by nuclear holocaust. Humanity has escaped to space stations circling the earth, but now supplies are running low and the future has to change. Idea 1: send 100 criminals to earth and see if they survive. After a rough landing, the ‘colonists’ emerge onto a planet that seems to be paradise. But life isn’t as easy as one would hope. And therein lies the story.

I will admit that I have never seen the TV series, but have certainly read good reviews. Fortunately the reviewer had read the books and indicated that there are significant differences.

In keeping with the genre, this book is full of action, adventure, romance and all the other things that keep young adults coming back for more and more. Certainly I kept turning pages and reading through long sessions. But is it quality literature – no. Did I waste my time – maybe, but then again reading popular fiction titles is part of my job. Will I continue through the whole series – Doubtful.

Posted May 9, 2015 by cssutton in category Science Fiction, Upper Secondary +