May 9

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

9780552566001-1-edition.default.original-1Fantasy – generally a genre with limited appeal. Most young adults either love it – or hate it. And ‘high’ fantasy is even more limited. Put a dragon on the cover and unless the series is televised on HBO, getting the book into the hands of the general reader is almost impossible. But personally, I love the genre. It provides a great opportunity to look at the real world with fresh eyes and new ideas.

Seraphina is a talented musician moving purposefully towards her career. She is reluctant to perform in public, but works wonders with ensembles and other performers. But when a soloist doesn’t show up for a funeral, Seraphina is forced to perform, and a whole chain of events is set in place that will change her life forever, and possibly her whole world.

Within the pages of this book Seraphina embarks on a journey of self discovery. She finds that she is of ‘mixed’ heritage, and that in itself causes all kinds of problems, but also connects her to a group of talented and special friends. Together they explore their talents and build a new future, although the new future will have to wait for book two.

Right now the idea seems to be that kids want to read Dystopian fiction and only by destroying the world will an author gain credibility. Seraphina challenges that idea, and it seems to be working. The book was nominated for an Inky in 2014, and certainly was one of the best I have read.

Posted May 9, 2015 by cssutton in category Fantasy, Upper Secondary +