May 16

Concealed in Death by JD Robb

9780749959401Book 38 of a series… How on earth can an author keep a story going? I will admit that I came to this series relatively late, only reading a handful of books in the last few years. But each one has been a fun read, and I look forward to the time when I can take the time to read some of the early books.

For those unfamiliar with the In Death series, the primary investigators are Eve Dallas, police lieutenant, and her wealthy computer whiz husband Roarke. The books are set just slightly in the future, but not enough to be scifi. This time the story depends on good old-fashioned police work. Roarke is renovating an old building once used to house homeless youth. During the grand project launch, he symbolically takes a sledgehammer to a wall, only to discover a skeleton. Eventually 12 skeletons are located, and Eve takes on the challenge of identifying each body and hunting down their killer.

I think what I liked best about this book is the traditional whodunit style. No fancy virtual reality suite, no super evil tech device, just simple gathering evidence and drawing conclusions. First the struggle to identify the victims, then find the links between them, if any. Some of the best scenes in this book are the moments when Eve breaks the news to the next of kin as each child is identified. And ever so gently she needs to ask about known friends.

I don’t think I have read a bad book in this series, but this one seems to stand out as just a little bit better.

Posted May 16, 2014 by cssutton in category Mystery, Upper Secondary +