March 10

Killer by Jonathan Kellerman

9780755374595In my last few reviews of his books, I have been commenting that Kellerman seemed to have lost his touch. The stories were predictable and the plots were all the same; even the characters were unsympathetic. Killer arrived like a breath of fresh air. Kellerman has returned to his roots, child psychology, to bring us this superb read.

We all know that Alex Delaware doesn’t make his living as a police consultant. He makes his money advising judges and courts about child custody. But we never hear about these stories. One case involves two sisters, the natural mother who is a real flower child from the 60s. Following a band, no visible means of support, but totally committed to caring for her baby. The other sister is a wealthy doctor, every possible advantage for the child, but little evidence that she has every loved anyone or anything. Delaware recommends that the baby stay with her mother, seemingly a no-brainer. But before long, Milo is warning him of a contract out on his life. We all know that Delaware gets himself into some sticky situations, but rarely is he the primary target.

Kellerman has come up with a fresh new plot and filled it with great characters. I know I wasn’t supposed to, but I really liked Efrem. How hard would life be for a tough teenager with juvenile diabetes? Also, Ree is just like many girls I knew in the 60s and 70s, she just had the ability to keep the innocence into adulthood.

I read this book in one sitting, less than 24 hours. I couldn’t put it down, and that is a welcome return to the Kellerman I know and love.

Posted March 10, 2014 by cssutton in category Mystery, Upper Secondary +