October 13

Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas

9781408832332Modern writers just love giving the old fairy tale genre a real twist. And Maas has given the Cinderella story the twist of all twists. Start by making her an experienced and effective assassin, but one who has had the misfortune of getting caught. Then replace the traditional home service to the ugly stepsisters with the far more horrific salt mines.

But Prince Dorian (Charming) comes riding by and chooses Celaena to be his champion at the upcoming games, as long as she can qualify without anyone guessing her real identity. And there begins a wonderful adventure or mystery, or romance …whatever.

I have read a lot of fantasy over the years, high and low, traditional and urban, whatever. But this one got me in, really and truly. There is enough adventure to keep the pages turning, always on the edge of your seat. And the romance that is inevitable in YA fantasy is handled well. There is a great love triangle, and I for one am not going to try to predict which way Celaena is going to jump.

Crown of Midnight – book 2 in the series is out, and I am definitely adding it to my wish list.

Posted October 13, 2013 by cssutton in category Fantasy, Upper Secondary +