July 30

Spoiled by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan

I promised myself that I would review at least 4 books every week until I get caught up. During the weekend I got involved watching the Olympics, so not a single review go written, although a book did get finished. So now at work while I am waiting for a science experiment to do what it is supposed to, I am writing reviews.

Molly has recently lost her Mother to cancer. She has been living with her grandparents, but they really are not prepared to raise another teenager. It seems like all her problems are solved when it is revealed that she is actually the biological daughter of Hollywood heartthrob Brick Berlin. But life is never what it seems. The transition from small town/farm to Hollywood is too much. Life takes a turn for the better when Brick’s daughter Brooke offers to help. Or does it?

This book is so 15 year old chick lit that it is not funny. Half of the content is fashion advice, the other half is tips on how to become popular. On the surface this is the biggest waste of time ever. Sure to appeal to a large audience, but almost certainly anyone over the age of 18 will hate it. At least that is what I thought when I put it down.

But strangely the story keeps coming to mind. I will admit that even while reading it, I got caught up in the drama. However, why is it that I can remember this so clearly even though it was read months ago.  I am too old to worry about adolescent fashion. This book apparently has a lot to say about setting priorities and judging friends.

Two months ago I dismissed this as a bit of froth and bubble marketed for the fashion conscious tween. Now I am not so sure.

Posted July 30, 2012 by cssutton in category Family and Friends, Upper Secondary +