June 24

Before We Say Goodbye by Gabriella Ambrosio

1271725280253Wow, what an unusual book! The whole idea is amazing and the way the book is crafted makes it even more powerful. Suddenly suicide bombers aren’t just on the evening news, they are in you head!

One day, that is all that is covered. And a whole stack of lives. The events of that all important day are told from several points of view, and at first the book makes no sense. But gradually the reader discovers what is in Dima’s mind, and inevitable tragedy unfolds.

At first I found there were too many points of view given and the book was actually irritating. However, as time passes, I find that irritation to be a virtue. The writing technique certainly maintains a sense of immediacy. Most authors would have focussed the whole story from Dima’s perspective, and tried to explain why she did what she did. But including the victims stories as well as the organiser’s perspective is important.

I also very much liked the fact that everything happened in a day. Backstory was provided through personal reflective moments within that day, but the story kept moving towards the inevitable.

It also only took a little over an hour to read. That made it feel like a news report rather than a novel. Scary.

This is not a fun book to read, but it is important.

Posted June 24, 2011 by cssutton in category Another point of view, Upper Secondary +