February 21

Get a Grip, Cooper Jones by Sue Whiting

1275277363859Recently I have been reading so many books for adults and older teens, it was a nice change to read something written for a younger audience. Cooper Jones is a leading character who is in year 8, and suddenly finding himself growing up. But sometimes it would be nice if everything could stay the same.

This is a story of a few weeks of young Cooper Jones’ life. His mother seems to be always in a bad mood. He spends a lot of time worrying that the reason for the mood is that he is growing up to be like his worthless father. But how does he know because he has no idea even who his father is! And then there is this new girl in town visiting her uncle! Cooper just has to be friendly doesn’t he?

This is a book that will be read by both boys and girls, I hope. Certainly the family and friends theme is common to a lot of tween chick lit. But boys will also find Cooper in interesting person. Sometimes it is just nice to know that you aren’t the only idiot in the world.

This book will probably never make any prize list. It may not even make the CBC notables for 2010. But I found it an enjoyable read, and a refreshing change from all the vampires, werewolves and monsters that populate adolescent literature today.

Posted February 21, 2011 by cssutton in category Family and Friends, Lower Secondary