January 4

Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks

Finally, the end of this wonderful series. I am always looking for new fantasy that I can recommend, and this series will certainly be a welcome addition to the shelves.

We left Kylar after he rescued Logan and together they fought to drive the invaders from their country. Unfortunately, political circumstances prevented Logan’s restoration to power and now the impoverished, broken country is under the rule of a selfish queen, only interested in her own comfort and status. Kylar knows that he has to commit one more assassination, but Logan has forbidden it. 

That summarizes the first few chapters effectively, but there is much, much more in this incredible book. The final battle scene is one of the most incredible that I have read in modern fantasy literature. Most of the time fantasy authors keep their good and evil beings clearly separated, but Weeks creates characters that are both good and evil. 

It has been a very long time since I have enjoyed reading a fantasy trilogy quite this much. Thank you!

Posted January 4, 2009 by cssutton in category Fantasy, Upper Secondary +